The sacredness/selflessness of our calling- There was a quote that Sister Pilkington said that stuck out to me. "It is self-centered to say "My mission" or "My baptism" rather we should be saying "HIS mission" or "HIS baptism". Unfortunately I have heard myself say these exact phrases, even if I dont mean them in a prideful way, the glory still needs to go to God. As you have said, "We are not doing God any favors, He is doing us a favor by letting us go on our missions." There is so much truth to this. I haven't seen it until recently, but if we want to get the most out of our mission that we possibly can, then we need to stop worrying about ourselves and worry about the people who need what we have. We need to concentrate our efforts selflessly on the work and when we do that, we will be the most effective tools in the Lords hands and by the end of our mission we will become exactly who the Lord wants us to.
The other thought I had was about the question "Is it God or is it Google?"
There have been countless times in every missionaries experience where they will meet someone who is generally interested once but then they read something online and don't want to meet with you anymore. In fact, shortly after the meeting I got a text from an investigator asking about polygamy and Joseph Smith's wives and such. Usually I would of tried to answer his question with logic and evidence to disregard what he said. Instead I gave him a call. I heard his concern and there were two questions I asked. One of them was "Does the answer to this question really change whether the Book of Mormon is true or not? and Do you trust God or Google about this issue? Thanks to this Zone conference and a good ward mission leader (he gave me the inspiration to ask the first question) We were able to answer this investigators question without having to explain loads of nonsense about the Prophets many wives. At the end of the day, if the Book of Mormon is true then what else really matters?
I have committed myself to say more meaningful prayers and act in diligence to receive my answer. No longer can I expect God to figure everything out for me. This life is a test and I would like myself, and those around me, to pass. The way to do that is through preaching the truth and being obedient.
Complaining will get us nowhere, in fact, it will pull us backwards. We have been called to England for a reason. When trials hit our way we must SUCK IT UP AND MARCH NORTH! I hope to carry this attitude not only through the rest of my mission, but for the rest of my life! As we said to an investigator last night, "There is no place I would rather be than in England."
The other thought I had was about the question "Is it God or is it Google?"
There have been countless times in every missionaries experience where they will meet someone who is generally interested once but then they read something online and don't want to meet with you anymore. In fact, shortly after the meeting I got a text from an investigator asking about polygamy and Joseph Smith's wives and such. Usually I would of tried to answer his question with logic and evidence to disregard what he said. Instead I gave him a call. I heard his concern and there were two questions I asked. One of them was "Does the answer to this question really change whether the Book of Mormon is true or not? and Do you trust God or Google about this issue? Thanks to this Zone conference and a good ward mission leader (he gave me the inspiration to ask the first question) We were able to answer this investigators question without having to explain loads of nonsense about the Prophets many wives. At the end of the day, if the Book of Mormon is true then what else really matters?
I have committed myself to say more meaningful prayers and act in diligence to receive my answer. No longer can I expect God to figure everything out for me. This life is a test and I would like myself, and those around me, to pass. The way to do that is through preaching the truth and being obedient.
Complaining will get us nowhere, in fact, it will pull us backwards. We have been called to England for a reason. When trials hit our way we must SUCK IT UP AND MARCH NORTH! I hope to carry this attitude not only through the rest of my mission, but for the rest of my life! As we said to an investigator last night, "There is no place I would rather be than in England."
No comments:
Post a Comment