This week I had the coolest experience, I got a random phone call from an investigator in Middlesbrough who I didn't get to see before I left. He told me he saw the other missionaries on the street and asked where I was and they told him York. So he called me up and said that he is coming down to York in a couple weeks and we are going to go around with him. Its going to be a really good experience. The relationships you make on your mission are special and I am seeing that the longer I am out.
Thursday was the 5th of November which is bonfire night here in England. It is a day in which they celebrate Guy Fox. So who's Guy Fox?! Guy Fox basically tried to blow up Parliament but he was ratted out and failed. They celebrate by shooting off fireworks (which represent the gun powder going off) then along with that they have a big bonfire into which they throw a fake person (a dummy) that basically represents Guy Fox. It is like the 4th of July...only darker haha. We had to be in by six that night for safety but our ward had a bonfire night later and it was a good time.
I have started doing a thing called "inspired knocking". When me and my companion are on our way somewhere I will point to a random door and he will go and knock on it. So I did this about five times this week and all of them were duds. Then one morning I pointed at a door because they had some cool train stuff on their front garden and a lady answered and told my companion that her husband had just passed away and she was interested in knowing more. Not only that but she knows a member in the ward who has been trying to get her to hear the gospel message. She told us that she will set up an appointment where we can come by with the member. We are very excited for that!
Here's something to laugh at...the Sister missionaries in my district are sooo funny. When I follow up with them I am always laughing, they just crack me up. So one night while following up they told me that when I first came in to the area it was hard to say my name (they are Chinese speakers). So instead of calling me Elder Walter they called me Elder "Cool". I was like why Cool? Apparently it's because during follow ups I say cool a lot. I guess I still have some Californian in me!!
This week I was asked to be part of a panel for the upcoming zone conference. There are seven steps to success in our mission, they are finding, teaching, member involvement, heart, steps to progression, baptism/retention, and planning. So seven missionaries in the north part of the mission were asked to represent one of the seven steps. I was asked be on the panel to represent member involvement. It will be interesting to see what questions are asked and how I will answer them but I will let you know how that goes next time.
Well that's about it for the week. I love being on a mission and I love hearing from all of you. Have a great week!
Elder Walter
p.s. That school I have a picture of is the one that Guy Fox went to! How inspiring!
| York Wall |
| Oldest school in the world |
| York Wall |
No comments:
Post a Comment